Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Sweat and Spandex


Outlet #2- The Gym
Working out is the mother of all "Outletting." It is an age old, tried and true form of easing tension, refreshing the mind, letting out aggression etc etc etc. But for me it is a fairly new love affair.
My entire life I have been an active sort of girl, but I was also quite thin and never felt "unhealthy" so I never really cared to commit to a normal exercise routine. In college I had a major achilles injury, which I still struggle with from time to time. Then I got married and was enjoying that too much to care to work out. Then I was working full time and was too tired. Through all of this I still worked out here and there and I still remained thin. But I certainly did not feel "healthy." Then I got pregnant...... (insert sigh). I was sick, I was tired, I was hungry and I gained weight (surprise surprise). Soon after having Elinor, I finally found the motivation to work out consistently. Something woke up within me and I decided I wanted to not only get my body back to normal but I wanted to be healthy...really really healthy.
My workout routine has been a progression and I am sure it will progress some more as I become more fit. But I am really happy with my current routine and for the first time in my life I really feel "addicted" to working out. So here is my current routine

I work out 5 days a week in theory (which is not always possible with 2 kids) And I do a different class each day. All my classes start at 8:30 am and they last an hour

Mon- Advanced Step, Seriously never thought step could be this hard. It is so fun now, but the first week I tried it I cried at the end and almost walked out I was so embarrassed at how slowly I was picking up the steps. Fortunately, I found out that this was a typical reaction to this specific step class (the instructor is a rock star!). People I did not even know where coming up to me and encouraging me saying "it was a right of passage" and that I would love it if I kept with it. So I did and they were right.

Tues- Muscle Conditioning, sort of like a circuit training. We do rounds of leg, stomach and arm exercises. I love this class because it is changing my muscle tone and I LIKE IT!

Wed- BOSU, Seriously the class I dread when I wake up in the morning. This is a BOSU

This class works my every muscle in my body and my endurance until I feel like I am going to pass out. BUT anyone and everyone I have talked to about this class says If any class changes the body it is this one! So far I can agree (however I am still the wimp in the class who is getting water every 10 minutes).

Fri- Power step, This is like a mix between advanced step and muscle conditioning. We take 5 minutes working our heart until it feels like it going to burst, and then we cool down by doing some weight training. This continues for an hour.

Sat- Spin. My first love. This is what I used to do 3 days a week when I was first getting into working out. I still love it, but It wasn't giving me the results I wanted all by itself so I moved on. I will also add that this is the PERFECT class to do while pregnant. It is easy on your joints and your bladder :) I was able to keep it up for the whole 9 months while pregnant with Charley and it made a huge difference in the way I felt after the pregnancy.

So that is my schedule! One day I will run more.....but i really hate running and can't get beyond 3 miles without dying of boredom.

I will leave you with these wise words and inspiration from Olivia Newton John

4 comments:

Alysha said...

you are such an inspiration christie!! I despise working out, cancelled our gym membership and now im lucky if i ever get to walk around the block! haha

alyssa said...

good for you working out!! i'm guessing they have childcare? that is so awesome if they do. i should workout it would have to be at like 7 at night after barry is home and we eat dinner and who is motivated (other than college students) at that hour. anyway- all that to say way to be! oh LOVE the olivia newton john video. cracked me up!

dragon ball z games said...

Wow, a very nice friend of mine. nice photo!

Tim B. said...

i don't think i could stand on both feet on that BOSU thing! Haha