Saturday, January 8, 2011

Training Them Up.....

The burden of training my kids up in the Lord has been weighing heavily on me this past year. I often feel extremely inadequate to be doing this job the Lord has given
me to do. I am pretty sure I am not a "grown up" and yet somehow here I am, with the responsibility of these two precious little souls......or that is how it feel. And then I remember (sometimes from a good kick in the pants from dear friends and family) that it is NOT my job to save my children and that God's yoke is indeed light, when we allow Him to carry our burdens for us. I am at my weakest, most devastated and exhausted when I become so selfish as to believe that I am the one who can MAKE my children good, smart, pleasant, christlike etc. because, I, myself am a wonderful, spirit-filled, disciplined, Christlike woman. The problem is, I begin to act a part instead of actually being any of those things and I become further and further away from the Lord because worry and self doubt become an idol to me. The good news is, God, in all His loving kindness, has never allowed me to stray too far. And eventually I am always brought back to my senses and reminded that it is Christ and His word alone that can bring me peace, hope and any wisdom I need in parenting. So with that burden lifted OFF my shoulders, I am then FREE to pursue what truly is my job! And that is to train my children, as best I can, in the Lord and hold to His promises. (Proverbs 22:6) This is when I am deeply grateful for training tools that are biblically sound and fun for my kids. There is so much, can I say, "Crap" out there, even within the Christian genre. That is why, when I do find something that I love, I get REALLY excited about it. Here is a small list of things I am just really, really excited about right now for my kids:


"The Jesus Storybook Bible tells the Story beneath all the stories in the Bible. At the center of the Story is a baby, the child upon whom everything will depend. Every story whispers his name. From Noah to Moses to the great King David—every story points to him. He is like the missing piece in a puzzle—the piece that makes all the other pieces fit together. From the Old Testament through the New Testament, as the Story unfolds, children will pick up the clues and piece together the puzzle. A Bible like no other, The Jesus Storybook Bible invites children to join in the greatest of all adventures, to discover for themselves that Jesus is at the center of God's great story of salvation—and at the center of their Story too."

I am in LOVE with this Bible. I cried when I read the first page. It begins with the premise that all little kids (who grow up to be adults) are smitten with the idea of a prince, a hero, a rescuer...... but that there is no human that can possibly fill this need. However God provided us with the perfect prince, the hero of all heros, the ultimate rescuer, Jesus. This bible bridges the gap between the Old and New Testament for kids that I never fully understood until I was an adult. And most importantly, it is a wonderful aid in evangelizing to my kids. Even though it is a little over Elinor's head right now, it has already opened doors for her to ask great questions about who Jesus is and how much He loves her.
Sovereign Grace Music puts out some really awesome music. And this CD is seriously awesome. There are two things I really love about this cd: 1) The music is actually GOOD! (I even like it for myself even though it is kids music) and 2) The words and message of the songs are straight out of the scriptures. Its not full of silly kid music nonsense but actual words that can be hidden away in my kid's hearts! This particular album focuses on the fruits of the spirit and there is a song for each fruit. Here is an example of one of the songs that I absolutely love. It is jammed full of biblical truth:


Peace, You give me peace

When the storms come and I’m afraid

Peace, You give me peace

When I trust in the words You say

You give me peace

If You can calm the sea Then You can comfort me

If winds obey Your voice Why should I fear their noise

And though my eyes can’t see I know You’re with me

When someone starts to fight And does things I don’t like

I hear Your gentle voice Saying I have a choice

To make an enemy Or to spread Your peace

Isn't that truly beautiful? I just love it.....


And finally, I am REALLY excited about this book. Elinor just got it for her birthday and it is amazing. I have known about R.C. Sproul's children books for awhile now and I have wanted to buy them, but they are a little bit old for my kids so I have held off. But this book is definitely the one to start with. It is so rich with wonderful theology written in a magical fantasy that any little girl or boy would be drawn to. Here is a summary I found:

Summary

In The Lightlings, Dr. R.C. Sproul weaves an allegorical tale that captures the essence of the biblical story of redemption in a manner that will fascinate and delight children. A race of tiny beings known as lightlings are a picture of humanity as they pass through all the stages of the biblical drama - creation, fall, and redemption. In the end, children will understand why some people fear light more than darkness, but why they need never fear darkness again.


So there you have it! When the dog bites, when the bee stings......these are a few of my favorite things :)

5 comments:

Natalia Simmons said...

Christie, I love it! I have been feeling the same way lately, and realizing that I myself cannot do the job of parenting my kids by myself. So lately, since the new year actually, we are memorizing verses together. I thought it might be difficult for Tae, but he is doing great and has 2 down (1 verse a week). I realize if I do parenting on my knees using scripture for discipline, it isn't me doing it at all! But I love books like the last one you mentioned and LOVE using them as a tool for talking to Tae. And they work! I will have to check that one out. There are two by Francis Chan too, the big red tractor and halfway herbert. I like them both. Anyway, great post!

Unknown said...

Thanks both for your comments. We tried applying manuka honey when she falls asleep and within the next 2 days her ulcer dried up. Pretty effective and there was no resistance from baby.
============
seo services

Theresa said...

Hello! I stumbled across your blog today when looking for new inspiring lives to read about, and I'm so glad I did! I wanted to follow you, but found no button... so I thought I would do the next best thing and leave a comment. Very cute and creative blog! :)

Love ( Founder YUP/ Enlive.Inn) said...

hello!

thanx so much for this post... i am so glad i got to read... it i am so worried myself as to how on earth can i ensure my kids will be trained well and will know the best thing to do always...:) unfortunately our role as a parrent is both cruicial, yet not absolutely the word... Its eventually our kids own thinking and Gods work... to guide him... wat we can provide is the foundation and basics... and those principles which he can then live his life in accordance with... and then they surely will be winners in the end...:)

Cathy May said...

Christie,
Found the shortcut to your blog again on my work computer and you really brightened my day. I so miss you and wish I could spend time with you in this new phase of your life as a mom. (since you were just a newlywed when you were here!) You truly are someone I admire as a friend, daughter, wife, and mother. If you ever get the urge to move back to Indiana, please do! I am going to check out the books you recommended for my kids and, of course, for my Gracie girl!! Love you and miss you!